Rajesh, the Quiz master of the recently concluded Reverberates 5.0 Malayalam Film Quiz was kind enough to share the entire Questionnaire – including the Prelims and the Finals of the event with OMC and its a fascinating trip through Malayalam Cinema. Be true to yourself and keep Google out of this exercise. Let’s ride!
1.Padmadalakshan started his career as a drama artist. His role in the drama ‘Samasya’ fetched him the Best Comedian Award. Ramu Kariat and Vincent were impressed by his performance in ’Mudiyanaya Puthran’ and gave him chance to act in the film ’Moodupadam’. His first noted role was in ’Bhargavi Nilayam’. The name of his character in the film stayed with him for the rest of his life.
2. As DDLJ and Maratha Mandir is to Bollywood, which movie holds the record for running the most number of days (407) in a theatre in Kerala. Also id the theatre.
3. Who dubbed for the character of Anil Kapoor in the Malayalam version of Slumdog Millionaire?
4.Which grandson of CV Raman Pillai directed these movies ?
- Acharam Ammini Osaram Omana (1977)
- Adyapaadam (1977)
- Raghu Vamsam (1978)
5.When Ranjith announced Ravana Prabhu with Mohan Lal, Vinayan came up with Rakshasa Raman with Mammooty. He had to change the name to ‘Rakshasa Rajavu’ as there were protests from religious outfits . Another movie came along the same time had a very similar naming structure. Which one was it?
6. He wrote the screenplay and dialogues of ‘Balan‘ and ‘Jeevithanauka‘ and has written about 55 plays, dozens of film stories and screenplays, and ‘Tatataka Parinayam’ kathakali. He had also acted in around 150 Malayalam movies. Identify this person who is referred to as the ‘Akshara Guru‘ of Malayalam movies.
7. He took the job of a teacher after passing Vidhwan Exam. Later, he got job as a clerk in the Kerala Secretariat and then joined the army in 1941. He got posted as a Commissioned Officer of the Viceroy of India. He served the British army in Manipur, Burma and British Malaya (Malaysia) during the World War II. After finishing his term in the army, he returned home and joined the then Travancore State Police as a Police Inspector. During the communist riots in 1947–1948, he was the Police Inspector at Alapuzha North Police Station. Identify the legend.
8. Who was the Photographer of the M Night Shyamalan movie ‘Praying with Anger’ ? His last work in Malayalam was the segment Makal from Kerala Café !
9. Born as Sasha Selvaraj, she was given her screen name by Bharatiraja, who also directed her in Mudal Maryathai. Her first Malayalam movie was directed by Lenin Rajendran. Her most popular movie was directed by Priyadarshan. Identify this actress who was once popular in Malayalam industry and vanished all of a sudden.
10. Connect these movies:
- Chiriyo Chiri (1982)
- Prem Nazirine Kaanmanilla (1983)
- No 20 Madras Mail (1990)
- Prem Pujari (1999)
- One Way Ticket (2008)
11. ____ Shankar Sharma, has given lots of memorable hits in Hindi which includes Chaudhvin Ka Chand (1960), Do Badan (1966), Humraaz(1967) and Ankhen (1968). He took a break in 70’s and then made a comeback in the 80’s giving an evergreen hit with Nikah. Later, a famous director from Kerala convinced him on doing a Malayalam film which he accepted. He has given several memorable scores in Malayalam including one for which KS Chithra won the National Award.
12. When MT’s novel X was made into movie, it didn’t use the name of the novel, instead, the project was named Y. Reason being X was already in use for a Mohanlal movie. Name X and Y.
13. For which movie did Shaji Kailas and Ranji Panicker join hands for the first time?
14. Who replaced Mohammed Asif in Kaithpram’s directorial debut ‘Mazhavillin Attamvare’?
15. He debuted as an independent film director with Veeravijaya, a Sinhalese film in 1960. His first Malayalam film was Jnanasundari, produced by T. E. Vasudevan based on a short story by Muttathu Varkey. He then went on to direct over 60 films including noted films Odayil Ninnu, Vazhve Mayam, Ara Nazhika Neram, Anubhavangal Palichakal, Karakanakkadal, Achanum Bappayum, Chattakkari and Oppol . Identify this Legend?
16. Originally, the CBI officer in the film Oru CBI Diary Kurippu was supposed to be a rough-and-tough cop named Ali Imran. It was Mammootty who suggested that a simple-looking brahmin who uses his brains more than his brawn would be a better idea. Very soon K Madhu and SN Swami made another film with Mohanlal in the lead as Ali Imran. Identify the movie.
17. The movie Guru by Rajeev Anchal is the only Malayalam movie to be selected as India’s official entry for Oscars. Earlier, a famous director from Kerala had his movie selected as official entry but for another language. Name the movie and director.
18. “Bashu, the Little Stranger” is an Iranian drama film directed by Bahram Beizai released in late 80’s.The film is told in the backdrop of the Iran-Iraq war.Which Malayalam movie is believed to be an inspiration of this movie ?
19. Name the music director who gave us the themes of Irupatham Nootandu and Oru CBI Diary Kurippu .
20. Shyam, a member of quotation gang is the hero of the movie. He takes up this job as he is desperate for quick money which will help his sister’s treatment. The heroine of the story falls in love with him in spite of knowing that he is a goonda. In fact, he being one, is the reason for her to love him. In one of the scenes, she reveals how she respects men with courage. Ajmal Kasab is mentioned as an inspiration. Name this different movie.
21. Connect Jayan and Rani Chandra.
22. Released in 1964, this was one of the earliest historical in Malayalam Kottarakara played the protagonist with Nazir, Sathyan and SP Pillai in support. This was also the first time RK Sekhar gave independent music for a film. The movie was not a success but the subject was much in news recently.
23. A dentist by profession, he was interested in martial arts and was an expert in Kalarippayattu. He published an English book titled Indian Art of Fencing and Sword Play when he was 22. It is widely believed that he entered the field of movies to harness the medium and thereby popularize Kalaripayattu. He produced, directed, wrote, photographed, edited and acted in his movie but had to end his movie career after this as it was a financial disaster. Identify this legend.
24. Adoor once started filming CN Sreekantan Nair‘s ‘Kamuki‘. The movie was not completed due to financial issues. This has been the only instance when both him and X worked together in a project. X served as the art director of the movie. Identify the art director.
25. In the screwball comedy Akkare Akkare Akkare, purportedly the third installment of Nadodikkattu had a memorable scene where MG Soman checks into the hotel with the alias of a world-famous movie personality. Name the Movie Personality.